Friday, December 17, 2010

Art- My Way

It seems alot of my life, I've been surrounded by artists. Growing up in small town, rural Texas, we weren't exactly buried in culturally enhancing opportunities. I'd never been to a museum until well into my adulthood and not to an art museum until 2 years ago. Oh the beauty! If you are ever in Toledo OH, you really must check out their art museum, it is reportedly one of the best in the country. I was in awe, but I digress.

My Mother is very artistic. I didn't always know this about her since she was busy being Mother and breadwinner, but when I was in high school, I was on the drill team. One of our jobs was to decorate a football players locker each Friday morning before a game. Most girls had some store bought signs and streamers, but not me. My Mom blew my socks off the first week by hand drawing these awesome gorgeous signs of our mascot, the bluecat. I never knew she had any interest in art, much less talent. Boy does she have talent! She's done some pretty awesome paintings since then as well. Now that she is retired, she is always busy with some artsy thing. Right now, she's buried herself in quilting but still periodically gets the "sewing bug", as she calls it. She hasn't painted in a while, but I'm sure she'll swing back to it someday too.

My childhood best friend,  Sharon, is also an amazing artist. I remember from about third grade on, watching her sketch. She produced some pretty amazing charcoals of dogs! They were always perfect. I would watch her in amazement, wondering how that was even possible. I can't and couldn't draw stick people. Sharon went on to be an accomplished musician and finish an art degree, along with a science degree. She now teaches homeschool art classes and I'm sure is wowing third graders still, lol.

Both of my grandmothers and all of my aunts, also very artistic. I always wondered what happened to me. I did get my share of the brains in the family, but that little or big section of the brain controlling creativity never seemed to be accessible for me. Then, I started cooking. Yes, cooking. I don't konw that many people consider cooking an art form. I probably wouldn't either except that I now, in our church am surrounded by some remarkably talented artists, many who create professionally. I try to find ways to spend time with these ladies, as they are gifted in an area that I really have to work at. As I've spent more time with them, and learned more about their crafts, as well as their processes, I've come to realize that cooking for me is an art. The way they think and consider their ideas and paths is the same way I do cooking. It is a love for me that I desire to contiunously stretch and improve and share. It is a gift that I hope to pass on to all of my children.

So, I want to share some of my art from this season so far.



YUM!

1 comment:

Karen Deborah said...

your right cooking can be a delightful art form! your cookies and cinnamon rolls look good enough to eat too!