Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tortilla Soup

Here is the tortilla soup recipe I start with...of course I play every time.
3 T EVOO
4 corn tortillas, I use more
6 cloves garlic
1 T fresh cilantro, I use the whole head
1 c onion
2 cans tomatoes
1 T cumin powder
2 t chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 cans corn, I use one can and one bag frozen
2 quarts chicken stock, I use one box

Cook some chicken. Sometimes I grill and sometimes I boil, doesn't matter. Saute tortillas, garlic and cilantro, all chopped in oil. In a blender, blend one can of tomatoes with the onion and can of corn until smooth. Add to the tortilla mix and bring to a boil. Add seasonings and other tomatoes and corn and stock. I also add black and sometimes red beans from a can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Here is the part that makes it super yummy. Serve it with crushed up tortilla or corn chips, diced avocados, cheese and sour cream. Then sprinkle on some reserved chopped cilantro. Seriously awesome stuff!

Last time I made it, I also blended in some extra mixed veggies, just for extra nutrients! My kids love this, as do we.

No comments: